Thursday, August 03, 2006

Never Choose The Boy

Okay-- first thing's first; I watch "The Hills"... and a number of other really bad MTV reality shows. I can't help it. Some sick, twisted, masochistic desire to relive my hateful high school experience (because, sadly, I knew, and "hung" with people like that...). In any case, on tonight's season finale, the protagonist was faced with a choice-- the climax of the story: 1) choose the boy or 2) choose the amazing opportunity that will change the course of your life (in this case, a one of a kind, never to be repeated, incredible internship in Paris).

She chose the boy.

Now, for all the teeny-boppers in the world who are the demographic of this show, they were probably jumping for joy, pumping their fists in the air and saying, "you go girl; follow your heart!" Me? I just shook my head in amazement... that people can continue to make the same mistakes, over and over again. It would be one thing if the boy was worth it... had some semblance of respect-- not even love, but just a little bit of something not resembling total crap. But this boy was a cheater; disrespecter (I think I made up this word); and all around jerk of a guy. And yet... something told her to stay in Malibu and give up the chance of a lifetime.

Sadly, I can relate.

While my initial reaction was outrage and protestations of "how can she be so short-sighted; stupid; ugh!" But then, when I really thought about it (okay... not REALLY, but in the 5 seconds after knee-jerk reaction), I realized that I would have done the same thing. Despite my friends and family telling me their reservations (short of tying me down and smacking some sense into me); I, too, would have chosen the boy.

I guess, despite all of our better judgement, there are some of us who still believe in "it;" that we're so naive and want to believe that maybe, someday, he will want to invest as much in us as we do he.

Damn reality MTV.

0 comments: