Thursday, August 03, 2006

Does hotter than hell mean anything to you?

I think I can finally relate to the hotter than hell analogy. The heat index today raced to 110. Now, having grown up in the desert, one might say that I should be used to those temps. And indeed, I would agree. Except the desert is DRY. The midwest is WET. Humid, gross, walk outside and it's like you've been lounging in a hot sauna fully clothed, clothes sticking to every surface of your body, heat. It was so hot, not only did the bus not have a/c (but when doing a pain analysis of walking vs. wheels, the threshold was less b/c of the time differential) it BROKE DOWN. It was so hot that the overcrowded bus decided that it had had enough as well, and just turned off. No sputtering and stalling; it just literally turned off. If that's not hot, I don't know what is.

Thank heavens the a/c is working at home (and I had sense enough to leave it on today-- God bless free a/c). Now, if only the thunderstorms would come early so I don't have to play volleyball tonight... I might pass out...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This weather reminds me of the Philippines. Only when I was there, they had instituted "brown-outs" where the government intentionally shut off electricity because there wasn't enough to go around! So we just sat around with no a/c in pools of sweat. Also, the government shut off running water as well. So to cool off we would go to the shower and dip our washclothes in the Rubbermaid garbage can full of water (never used for garbage, only water) and drench our heads with it. Relief for like only 2 seconds. Long way to say -- I'm thankful for a/c too!!! It actually could be worse.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure Burbank is a desert.

maikib said...

shows what you know-- the san fernando valley is the desert (not to mention, i grew up in north hollywood... but my parents did live in burbank for a little while when i was in college).