Monday, March 06, 2006

Snowboarding Master!

Well, perhaps not exactly master... well, perhaps not exactly proficient. But, I did it! Thankfully there is no photographic evidence, although, are you people going to believe that I actually did it? I can pass along my instructor's name (Evan)... he'll remember me on account that I took him out within the first 10 minutes of my lesson-- and that's not in the "hey, wanna grab a drink" taken out, but rather an "oh crap, I'm about to go down the mountain and take you with me in a giant bloody mess" taken out. Yes-- thank you, thank you. I managed to totally wipe the professional out when he was trying to break my fall. All mini accidents aside, it was SO MUCH fun! My friends at NL Wilson totally hooked me up with a private lesson, and even though I didn't let go of my instructor's hands the entire time (well, he was pretty cute, in that snowboard/surfer wanderlust kind of way), I think I really started to get the hang of it at the end (and man, was that Pooh Bear run a tough trail).

Granted, there were kids that came up to my knees who were whizzing by me with no problem, but we all know it's harder to teach an old dog new tricks. On my last run I did manage to make it ALL the way down the run without stopping (or falling)-- although Evan was holding my hands the whole time and coaching me through every turn. Poor Evan. I was sort of a disaster. I couldn't get up by myself so he was just lugging my dead weight up every time I was down for the count (often). And the ski lift was just a comedy. I can't get off the ski lift in skis, so forget about it on a board. He literally had to put his arms under mine to keep me upright. But even though every single muscle in my body aches today, it was the most fun that I've had on this trip thus far... and I would totally do it again tomorrow--if I could walk, that is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm sure this guy really hated holding you all day. Tough life these ski instructors have...

Anonymous said...

I'm back online, and all caught up :)! I see you saw that already though, since you saw my recent post of pictures (finally, I know...).