Thursday, March 30, 2006

My Today Show Family

Everyone has their morning routine: snoozing for exactly 7 minutes… three times; getting straight into the shower, or maybe dawdling over cereal before the inevitable strikes and you realize you really do need to wash your hair this week; drinking one and a half cups of coffee; scanning of the front page headlines before racing through the morning commute. But, as my near and dears will surely attest, my morning routine is the Today Show. A dedicated (and dare I say, slightly obsessed) viewer, I can't start my day without a little Katie, Matt, Ann and Al, or really, any of the peripheral, sometimes-players, Campbell Brown, David Gregory, Lester Holt, Natalie Morales, and the ever-present Willard Scott. I know where the principals went to college and what their spouses and kids names are; know that Ann is the heart and dedicated to public service; that Katie loves shoes (and has an amazing collection); that Matt is an avid golfer and has a wicked (if not sometimes covert) sense of humor; and that Al is a foodie like me. Even if I'm late and racing through my morning, I absolutely can't leave my house without a few minutes of Today… if even just to hear the comforting voices of the "family" that's always around and who follows me through my travels and continual uprooting. I still even miss Chris Cimino, the NBC 4 NYC weatherman who Al would cut to for the local weather (although, Andy Avalos of NBC 5 in Chicago does fill the gap somewhat). If I don't have my Today fix, I often go through the day feeling somewhat empty, that somehow I've missed something, and I'm a little less clued in to what's happening in this great big world of ours.

So now that you know I'm a little nuts (but I felt the intro was important to level-setting my next piece of information), Campbell Brown (the top contender for Katie's spot, should she decide to jump ship to CBS, and frankly my top choice, should anyone care; currently the "Weekend Today" anchor and also a White House correspondent) is getting married this weekend-- and when Matt, Al and Natalie (who was filling in for Ann today) sat on the sofa and toasted her with champagne, and you could see the joy and excitement in Campbell's face, I was so happy! It felt like one of my best friends was getting married, and I was right there, experiencing the joy right along with her and her loved ones.

Like I said: I'm a little nuts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that show too!!! I used to watch it religiously until my tv was taken over by Thomas the Tank Engine. Did you know Lester used to be the anchor in Chicago?? Okay. And don't you LOVE Ellie Pai Hong in Chicago? I want her to have KT's job. But I guess 2 Asians on one show would be a bit much for the US of A. What a great show. Hope you are enjoying sunny FL!

Anonymous said...

Just thought you should know....it looks like they are going to give the job to Meredith Veira (sp?) from The View. Yechh...