Thursday, August 11, 2011

CRAVing

Oh, sushi-- how I miss you. But not just any sushi-- Sushi Aki (now Sushi Yagumo). The amazing hole-in-the-wall of my childhood, located in good old Van Nuys, California.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I think this is the best place in the whole world. The sushi is delicious-- but their specialty? The spicy handroll.

Unlike most sushi places who use a chili sauce, it's all about fresh and dried peppers for this place. And you can "choose your level" of spicy, between 1 and 10 (and don't I love interactive eating). You can even win a prize if you eat a #10 (well, now you have to eat 2). But best save that for your last roll-- because you won't be able to feel your mouth IF you're actually able to eat the whole thing. Case in point: I LOVE spicy food, and pretty much spice up everything I eat (so demonstrated by the large container of crushed red peppers, and back-up bags of it, that I have in my spice cabinet). But I can only eat a #3.

I woke up this morning craving Sushi Aki-- err, Yagumo (changed owners with the famous Aki retired and the restaurant was taken over by one of the chefs). This is a "ninja roll" whose contents are a surprise-- a mixture of the freshest catch, usually tuna and yellowtail and whatever else is on hand; combined with chiles and green onion and yummy goodness. This is one of my favorites along with my ALL time favorite, spicy scallops. Yum, Yum, Yum. You'll always be Sushi Aki to me.

1 comments:

alohab said...

maaannnn, now you've made me crave it too!