Monday, August 15, 2011

A bevy of activity

That's what my 'hood was this morning (and oh, what a 'hood it is).  It started with what sounded like someone trying to kick in a door. Glancing outside my office window (which happens to overlook the backyard), I saw a couple of kids holding tire irons in the neighbor's yard. Said neighbor doesn't live there anymore-- she moved into a retirement home a few years ago and her house has been empty ever since. It's unfortunately become a target for criminals and vandalized several times (most recently with people stealing PIPES and flooding the place). Then came the kicking and the pounding-- and my subsequent call to the police (following yesterday's call for the SAME THING). Lo and behold, the police showed up immediately! The little perps had already gone by then (they saw me through the window and took off), but the Police Officer was AWESOME. He came in for a chat, took some notes, said he'd patrol the area for a while and reassured me that I should call anytime I hear/see anything (and not call the Community "Police" who aren't really police, but pretend, because as suspected, they don't really do anything). When, about an hour later, the twerps came back, I called the police again and within minutes, the same (awesome) guy came screaming up to save the day (missed them again). I also found out that there are Indian plain clothes/unmarked car police officers that patrol the area regularly. Again? AWESOME. Finally feeling like someone is doing something in this 'hood.

0 comments: