Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Business in the front, party in the back...

Believe it. Mullets do exist. Now, I know that you thought it was a myth-- an urban legend, if you will. Until today. When getting into the elevator in my posh place of work (okay-- that's a slight... or rather, overblown... exaggeration...), there it was: The Mullet.

It happened to be on a woman (is that how you refer to the hairstyle that for some reason, never goes out of style?)... with REALLY long hair... but REALLY short on the top and in the front. (She was also wearing acid washed jeans, so that might explain some things.)


In any case, it sparked my curiosity. Why is it that so many people still have mullets? The instant message in a hairstyle that says all things negative and no things positive. So I did some research, which I felt I should share with you:


From wikipedia: A mullet is a haircut that is short in the front, on the top, and on the sides, but long in the back. Mullets have been worn by males and females of all ages, but they have traditionally been most popular with younger men. A slogan or motto often associated with people who wear mullets is: "business in front, party in back."


Just so we all know (as the article does clarify), the mullet is distinct from the rattail, which consists of a long, narrow "tail" of hair growing from the back of the head.


The article then goes on to give the historical significance of the mullet. WOW.


For those interested in even more mullet goodness, be sure to check out these choice sites:

Awwww yeaaaah.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the mullet slogan!!! A woman who worked in accounting at Aon had a major mullet. Andy and I called her "long hair short hair". We probably referred to her at least once a day like that... Makes me chuckle just thinking about it. I think she had a crush on me if you know what I mean.