Friday, May 20, 2011

Wannabe foodie

I'm much more of a wannabe foodie on Facebook than I am here on this blog; mostly because I love to cook and post photos of finished dishes, but not so much to blog about them. But I figured that since I spend much of my spare time cooking these days (so wonder I am not gaining weight) that I may as well combine both pastimes into one so as to 1) get some more mileage out of my painfully neglected blog and 2) well, I only really had one reason.

I have a standard repertoire of food that I pull from but will mix up once in a while (Thanksgiving in a meatball was one such mix-up that was also one big mistake), but for the most part I pull from my bible: The Barefoot Contessa. I love Ina and have all of her cookbooks (thanks to my wonderful Daves) and she's my go-to woman when planning a dinner party or when I have an itch to cook something new. But I also have some other cookbooks, one being William and Sonoma's Wine and Food book which doubled as a wedding guest book (thanks to my genius sister-- married in Napa=wine; bride who is a wannabe foodie=cookbook). This is a pretty genius cookbook, esp for those who don't know anything about wine (me) or what to serve at a party with specific food (me). Plus the recipes are delicious and relatively easy (that's one of my main caveats as a wannabe foodie / chef-- if it has loads of ingredients, takes a ton of time or requires gadgets and gizmos, it's a big skip.

I always say I'll try anything once, so I dabble in all sorts of meats and ingredients. I'll also throw in some vegetarian options (much to MRN's chagrin) just to keep it healthy and heart-conscious. This is a recipe compliments of Ina but I've changed slightly-- the big things are adding heat (I love spicy food; I actually use A LOT more cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper than I've indicated below, but so as not to burn everyone off this recipe I've toned it down) and swapping tahini for tomato paste (I'm not particularly fond of tomatoes and tahini has lots of good qualities that are good for you). This is a great alternative to salsa if you're not a tomato fan too (plus the pita is healthier than those yummy corn chips because you can control the salt).

Roasted Eggplant and Red Pepper Spread (w/ homemade pita chips)

You'll need:
  • 2 cookie sheets (with rims)
  • Food processor (or potato masher)
  • Large mixing bowl
Ingredients:
  • 1 med eggplant (peeled & chopped)
  • 2 red peppers (chopped)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1 small red onion (chopped)
  • 3 tbsp olive oil (plus extra for brushing on pita bread)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • Whole grain, wheat or seeded pita bread (cut into narrow triangles)
  • Flat leaf parsley for serving (rough chopped)
Directions:

Eggplant spread:
  • Pre-heat oven to 400 F
  • Chop eggplant, peppers and onion into 1-in cubes (don't worry about being precise; it's all going to get mushed in the food processor-- that's the technical term) and add to bowl
  • Toss with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper
  • Spread on roasting pan (cookie sheet) and cook for 40 minutes, tossing half-way through (the veggies should get brown, but careful not to burn)
  • Remove from oven and cool slightly
  • Add contents to food processor fitted with steel blade
  • Add tahini and pulse 3-4 times until incorporated
  • Taste for salt and pepper
Pita Chips:
  • While veggies are in oven, prepare pita bread by cutting into narrow triangles, brushing with olive oil and sprinkling with salt; arrange on second cookie sheet
  • Place in oven for 7-8 minutes
  • Remove and serve with eggplant

1 comments:

alohab said...

the recipe sounds delicious, however i'm in love with that BOWL! Ha, ha! Do tell where you got it... :)!