Monday, July 24, 2006

Beautiful Sundays

If you know me; or read this blog ever, you'll know that Sunday is my favorite day. I love, love, love Sunday. I get to sleep late (errr... which for me, is 7:30-- but today it was 8!!), drink my favorite earl grey creme tea (from argo) over the NYT. And the perk of all perks today? 78 degrees, sunny and NO HUMIDITY.

Ahhhh... since we didn't have a Spring, it's the kind of day you want to jump up and down over. So, after my tea and a quick scan of the paper, I was off on a walk.

I walk a lot... I've never owned a car, so the downside (and I guess, luxury) is I get to walk everywhere. I tend to wake up early on weekends and go for a walk when the weather is nice. Usually it's nearby (to Argo or Starbucks...), but today I decided to take advantage of the gorgeous day and embark on a 7+ mile walk.

I live in a beautiful neighborhood... definitely the prettiest I've ever lived in. Sure, I loved Queens, but it's no Gold Coast, that's for sure. I live a block from Lincoln Park (for all intents and purposes, it's Chicago's answer to Central Park... it even has a zoo...), and a block from Lake Michigan. I never take advantage of it, so today, I did. I started North through the park, past the zoo, the boathouse (where I'm taking sculling lessons next month) and past multiple children's playgrounds. I then cut over to the Lake and walked South.

It was great people-watching; People there to work out (it was packed)-- running, rollerblading, biking. Then there were the sunbathers, bikini-clad volleyball players, and people being seen to be seen. Best of all, the AVP was in Chicago this week-- meaning, lots of hot boys... err, volleyball players... I know, I know... "beaches" in the middle of the country. But seriously-- there are beaches. I know-- I play beach volleyball every Wednesday. Sand and all.

I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes we all get caught up in life and forget to stop, take a breath, and appreciate what we have-- right in front of us. Today I got to do just that. Another great Sunday.

0 comments: