Thursday, September 09, 2010

Missing the boat

First Jamba Juice and Trader Joes, then Chipotle and now?? TARGET! Why is it that all my favorites came to NYC after I moved? I think the universe may be trying to tell me something.

Okay, okay-- so technically Target was in the City before I moved-- in Queens, in fact. I'd get a trip in every once in a while when I had a rental car for work, or could talk my then boyfriend into a jaunt (usually accompanied by a bribe of Outback Steakhouse... yes, the way to a man's heart...). Way back then (stretch your minds to circa 2004) Target was still in its turn-around phase: pre-designer dumbing down their expensive lines for more affordable fare for the masses. In a time where brands are diversifying and diluting their value, Target has found a way to defy all odds. High end designers-- Michael Korrs, Zac Posen, Liberty of London and my personal fave, Orla Kiely, have managed to keep their couture street cred while still bringing fashion to us normal peeps. Pretty impressive.

Growing up, Target was more of a discount store. Not quite Pic-in-Save (a Southern California version of a dollar store only, pre-dollar story. Holy crap, I'm old), but not up to Wal-Mart standards. Target is a rags to riches story to the nth degree. And I'm happy to say I was along for the ride.

I often bemoan the fact that there isn't a Target equivalent in this country. Nothing even close. It's a must-stop when I'm home (as in, anywhere in America that has one... watch out Chicago!). Maybe when I leave England Target will open its first international location here. Bad timing-- the story of my life.

2 comments:

Aohoku said...

we got jamba,
we got target,
when we going get trader joe's?

Kristina said...

I am still waiting patiently for coffee bean here. Ice blended please.