Monday, April 13, 2009

Ode to Television

It's sad-- I know and whole-heartedly understand how sad it is. But the truth? I do love television, and not having tv for the last 6 months has been, while I didn't realize it at the time, a pretty gaping hole. Lots of "comfort shows"-- U.S., of course-- the UK doesn't do very much in the way of original programming, have been absent due to our giving up television during the lengthy renovation that is still dominating our life. But this weekend saw a shift in the tides with not only the somewhat reluctant welcoming of a rather large flat screen plasma tv (before this I've only ever had a little, old-school-- as in purchased in 1997-- 19" tv that yes, I was often made fun of for, but what can I say? I'm not a snob when it comes to technology, and it did its job); and satellite tv that has today let me get caught up on this season's Greys (all day marathon-- whoop-whoop!). And I thought, "What have I been thinking?! I LOVE TV!!"

So much so that my LoveFilm subscription (think Netflix but the UK version) has been flung by the wayside... all for channel surfing and parking my rear on our new sofa (that hasn't seen much action since our downstairs has been under drop cloths for MONTHS). Satellite TV here has glimpses of Tivo-- you can pause and rewind and record... but much like cable DVR in the US (or so I've heard), not much more-- it's difficult to use, impossible to search (ummm-- you can't search by the freaking title?!). All the same, it's super comforting to be able to pause live TV. Hey, some people have chocolate-- I have pseudo-Tivo.

Finally feeling like I'm home.

3 comments:

M. L. Benedict said...

The funny thing is that I love television too, but most of the time I watch the shows on BBC America!

alohab said...

hooray for cuurent shows! now i have someone to talk to about it. we've finally gone wireless with our tivo so are cutting the phone line. the only reason we had the phone line to begin with...

Anonymous said...

the only reason we have phone line is for our TiVo too! I love TiVo and think it is one of the best inventions EVER!
I am a big TV lover, but also being cheap, I only have basic cable. On a recent Delta flight I just watched the HBO show "True Blood", (incidentally, I am so hip, I read all those books YEARS ago) now I can't wait for the DVDs!