Friday, April 24, 2009

Designer Dentist

Well, I bit the bullet and had my first experience at the Dentist in the UK. And boy, was I not disappointed. Obviously we've all heard (or perhaps, surmised) about the poor quality of UK dentistry-- speculation and a lot of stereotyping driving that perception, but all the same, it's pretty well perceived in most of the world that Brits, while incredibly talented, successful and powerful in most respects, are not known for their good oral hygiene.

I pretty much confirmed that stereotype yesterday.

On my first trip to the dentist in the UK for my regular 6-month check-up and cleaning, I spent 10 minutes in the office. TEN. That included checking in, filling out my new patient paper work, walking up two flights of stairs to the examining room, talking to the dentist, getting my exam, having my teeth "polished" and then walking back down and booking my follow-up appointment (to repair a cracked crown-- ugh). I am not even kidding. No x-rays, no thorough exam of my teeth, gums, tongue, roof of my mouth or ANYTHING. He sort of looked at each tooth, but didn't check my gum pockets. He kept saying that I have very good oral hygiene and no plaque or tarter (IMPOSSIBLE)-- and, disturbingly, he told the assistant in the room that I had no black spots... whaaaa?!? (A clue into the state of most of his patients' teeth, I would suppose??).

When the "exam" was over (in superhero-speed time), I couldn't believe it-- I asked, "umm... so do I need to make an appointment to have my teeth cleaned, or take x-rays?" to which he answered, "well, if you just had x-rays done and your teeth were fine, then there's no need to take them again..." (UMMM-- at a different dentist IN AMERICA...), "... and, you have very good oral hygiene, so you don't really need to see the hygienist-- I polished your teeth," he added.
WTF?!?!

I explained to him that I generally have pretty deep pockets-- esp. in my back teeth... "4's and 5's" I said (in dentist-speak-- I got a good education at my Chicago dentist). And I know that it's IMPOSSIBLE not to have plaque or tartar-- I know what it looks like (thanks again to my Chicago dentist) and that it's under your gum line-- and only those instruments of torture at the dentist can really get it clean. Besides-- that's the biggest problem. Tartar and plaque that sit on the teeth and under your gums can lead to bigger issues, including heart disease (thank you Aetna). While you can keep it in check, regular flossing and brushing is not enough.

Now, I know I've been particularly diligent about flossing and brushing since moving to the UK and having to give up my Sonic Care (different plugs and voltage) and Designer Dentist (as I affectionately called the Chicago practice), and my gums are looking pretty healthy, come on! Anyone with common sense knows that regular dental visits, cleanings and maintenance should be part of your general health routine.

*Sigh*-- guess my Designer Dentist just got even more designer, considering he now will have a patient flying in from another freaking country to visit him.

4 comments:

alohab said...

if you come here, you can see mine. he's great, and i think takes aetna :)!

thomassabastein said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Next time you should pick a different dentist to see if it is a British thing, or you just had a bad dentist.

Daniel Aneszko said...

I love your Blog. You're a great writer. This is the first Blog I've ever read...pretty amuzing. I've got to say, when we did our mission trip to the Dominican Republic I had a bit of culture shock myself about the level of dental care available...but at least they have the excuse of being a 3rd world country. England can't say that.
I can't wait to see you back! Water Tower Dental Care misses you!
Take care for now Mikie!
Your Dentist,
Daniel Aneszko