Sunday, February 04, 2007

Only in New York

Yes-- some clever New Yorker has actually logged, with painstaking detail, the good (ummm, not much good...), bad and the ugly smells around the city of New York (click on graphic).

When I was there last week, I actually had the pleasure of seeing frozen dog pee AND frozen vomit on the sidewalk. Classic. Not only because I didn't know either could actually get cold enough to freeze, but also because New Yorkers just sidestepped it without so much of an acknowledgement of disgust. Oh, you've gotta love New York. And of course I couldn't help but draw the comparison to Chicago where you wouldn't see non-frozen dog pee, let alone vomit on any sidewalk... I've often wondered if there are oompa loompahs who scuttle around and clean up the mess in Chicago city streets-- there is nary a cigarette butt, nor animal or human excrement that one need avoid. Maybe Midwesterners are just cleaner.

But I still love New York.

4 comments:

Liana said...

How can you be sure it was dog pee?

Hero to the Masses said...

Hee hee...oompa loompas. I know how much you enjoy their work.

maikib said...

ha! well, it was slightly yellow, and was running from a wall (clearly the owner didn't read the "curb your dog" sign) to the curb (the sidewalk was on a slight incline). It was slightly artistic, actually...

Anonymous said...

I don't think you have been to that part of the city where you might have experienced the "NEW YORK" scene that you described.

I guess NY is just that kind of city. You get everything anywhere you go.
Sort of like LA now. You gotta watch were you walk along VEntura BLvd. Never know what you might step in.

Oh my!! Oompa loompas!!!

Mom