Friday, August 13, 2010

Come Dine With Me!

I'm thinking about changing the name of my blog to Warblings of a Wannabe Foodie. I've always loved cooking and fancied myself a foodie. But lately I think I've crossed the line to obsessed. I spend all my spare time watching cooking shows (my favorites are the contest-ones like Top Chef, Iron Chef America, Come Dine With Me) and pouring over cookbooks. I've even finally dusted off the really fancy food processor MRN got me for Christmas and am using it 3-4 times a week! I like very colorful plates (meaning lots of veggies, much to MRN's dismay), and I also like experimenting with flavors that you don't immediately think go together (also to MRN's dismay...). I hate to measure anything, which means I'm less suited for baking. I also never think anything is spiced enough, so I tend to add more (especially garlic). It may be because I've killed my taste buds due to my proclivity for red pepper flakes (I like it spicy!). But I try to tone it down when there are guests (and because sometimes I destroy the dish by adding too much... thinking of the lemon disaster with my first attempt at sole meuniƩre. MRN is now in charge of that dish).

Sometimes recipes aren't worth repeating, but I'm always happy to have tried it. I'm trying to infuse new dishes into the repertoire because I'm a creature of habit and am mostly happy with eating the same thing over and over. But now having a guinea pig--err, husband, it makes it more fun to try out new things. Last night it was:

Grilled Lamb with Curried Rice and Cherries*
  • 4 lamb steaks (about 1-inch thick) or 9-12 small chops
  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • 1/2 c fresh lemon juice (about 2 medium lemons)
  • 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 c Long grain rice
  • 1 c cherries, halved and pitted
  • Fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
For the lamb:
Whisk 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons), onions, garlic, fresh rosemary*, salt, pepper and paprika and pour over lamb steaks (or chops... really, whatever you like) in nonreactive bowl (translation: glass or ceramic). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. (*rosemary is my addition because I always think it goes nicely with lamb; but if you don't like it, you don't have to add it...)

To cook: Grill on the bbq or broil in oven, 6 minutes on each side (for a steak about 1 in thick) for a pink center; a minute more for well-done. When you turn it the first time, spoon some of your marinade over it. Easy enough?

For the rice:
Any long-grain rice will do-- cook according to instructions but add 1 tsp of curry powder to the water. Pit and slice cherries in half (about 1 cup). Once cooked, gently fold cherries and basil into the rice. (if you don't have fresh herbs, you can use dried-- but cut measurement in half and rub in fingers / hands to release the flavor before adding to your food)

Serve and enjoy!

(For a bit of color, you can add roasted veggies or a spinach salad... here I served it with roasted brussel sprouts with garlic and lemon pepper)

*Curried rice and cherries recipe from Real Simple

2 comments:

maikib said...

ummm... food photographer i am not. plus, my iphone being the only thing ever handy doesn't help.

Unknown said...

When can you come home and cook for us!!!!
Looks really ono!!

Love
MOM