Friday, February 20, 2009

Edinburgh

We're off to Ed-in-burr-uh this weekend (so I'm told is the correct pronunciation, as opposed to the hard 'g' that us Yanks tend to use), and I cannot say enough how excited I am to play hooky from the home improvement projects. We've decided to drive so we can see some of the beautiful countryside in our backyard-- and given that it's only 4 hours, it's not too much of a hike (we're equidistant by car from London and Edinburgh).

In case you're foggy on Edinburgh history, it's Scotland's capital city and boasts a "genteel, cultured outlook reflected in the magnificent 18th century architecture of its so-called New Town." Some of the country's major visitor attractions are found in Edinburgh including national museums, galleries and the city's famous castle on top of a rocky crag overlooking the city.

We're staying at the Old Waverly Hotel which has gotten mixed reviews on Trip Advisor and other websites. Some on the more disturbing side (bed bugs??) and others fairly innocuous (rude / unhelpful staff). But the best thing going for it is location (right on Princes Street with views of the castle. We're only going overnight so I figure it's better to be in the thick of things than have to figure out how to get around the city; although I hear it's small and very walk-able).

Lots of choices of things to do, but top of my list aside from the castle is walking tours-- I think it's the best way to get your bearings and explore-- you find such great things on foot that you would entirely miss in a car / bus or otherwise. Some of note include the City of the Dead Walking Tour; the Edinburgh Literary Pub Tour, a guided tour of the Edinburgh's haunted underground city; and, The Witchery Tour, which my book describes as "...a glimpse of Old Town's murkier side, including tales of witchcraft, torture and plague." Sense a theme here? And of course there's always the Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre-- not my cup of tea, but I know MRN is excited about that one.

Photos and tales of Scottish adventure to come-- maybe I'll even be brave enough to try a little haggis.

0 comments: