Thursday, August 14, 2008

Right Back Where We Started From

California here I come indeed. Ironically, although I'm moving to England, I'm officially a resident of the Golden State... again. I took a driving test today at the same location I took my very first driver's test 16 years ago. I did better that first time around, but still passed this time (boy, that would have been embarrassing, given the company I was in today). I remember that momentous day way back when... I drove my father's little blue Honda CR2 sports car, much to my chagrin. It was a manual drive, and without power steering. The test lasted all of 5 minutes. And they handed over a license to operate a motor vehicle to a very young-youngin. I remember getting home and my dad letting me take his car on my first solo drive (yes, he was overly indulgent and trusting of his daughters), and I went straight to my high school sweetie's house to surprise him (ever the control-freak, I hadn't told anyone-- not even my boyfriend, David, that I was taking the test). Freedom! Less than a week later, I got in my first (and thankfully, only) car accident. A rear-end collision that was completely and utterly my fault. Hmmm... there may be a deeper reason to why I've never owned a car...

3 comments:

alohab said...

Ha! And due to that accident, I was not allowed to drive!!! You deny it, but it's true!

Kristina said...

That's funny - I just got a new license as well.

It still has my parent's address even tho I haven't lived there in 15 years!

M. L. Benedict said...

I flunked my first driver's test for frightening a pedestrian. The DMV person informed me that I had to wait until a pedestrian had both feet on the far sidewalk before I made a left turn. Never saw it before and have never seen it since, but there you are...