Monday, November 26, 2007

Give a Little Bit

It's officially the holiday season, and with that comes the bombardment of holiday giving-- not only to family, friends and loved ones, but to the all important charity. Red, St. Judes, Breast Cancer Awareness, March of Dimes. The list is endless. We all have our causes, but how do we make sure our dollars are actually supporting the causes to which we're donating?

Well, I do like to think that I learn something everyday, and as a dedicated Today Show watcher, I learned this: Give.org. This website, along with CharityNavigator.org and Guidestar.org, will provide you with a charity report that indicates, along with their annual financial report, a breakdown of the percentage of your dollars actually being allocated to the cause to which you think you're supporting. While some of your dollars will go to administrative and fundraising expenses, Jean Chatsky, Today Show financial guru, says that if at least 80% of your donation isn't going to support programs, you may want to rethink your charity choice. If you're anything like me, I want to make sure the money that I'm donating is actually going to the cause that I'm passionate about. So when you're opening your hearts this season, check out these sites and make sure that your hard-earned money is going where you want it to go.

0 comments: