Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Back From the PN

Can you tell I'm trying to start a new movement, ala "The OC?" I wonder if it will catch on (given the fact that all of three people read this blog, I'm kind of doubting it...).

I have a knack of visiting places during the most idyllic times of the year and falling in love with the place (Chicago, anyone?). The one time of the year where the weather is utter perfection... I did it when I visited Vassar-- driving through main gate and seeing the Hollywood college scene unfold before me: students lying across the lawn in front of Rocky Hall/the Library reading, throwing frisbees and frolicking in trees (okay... maybe not in the trees, but frolicking barefoot indeed). I did it when I moved to Chicago... only to find out that those perfect weather days are few and far between... very few and very far.

Apparently I did it again. Seattle weather was amazing... low 80s, no humidity, sunny and gorgeous during the day; low 60s with a slight nip in the air in the evenings... cold enough to snuggle under blankets in front of the Daves' outdoor fireplace, but not so cold that you feel as though your nose is going to fall off.

Everyone I talked to there thought it was "too hot" (Whhaaa?!? Have you experienced the Northeast/Midwest in July or August??)-- but they also conceded that 4 days without rain was unusual... even in the summer (and I'm not a rain person), so that was a plus. But, it was pretty wonderful. I'm trying to temper that feeling of dying for perfect weather with actually wanting to live in the city... yes, yes, you naysayers. I could go back to Hawaii where the weather is actually pretty near perfection year-round. But there's that little thing called making a living that always seems to get in the way.

So the quest for perfect weather, coupled with the perfect job opportunity continues. Perhaps this is my Odyssey.

0 comments: