Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Delightfully Reimagined

Photo courtesy of Savour the Senses*
Nearly every upscale restaurant has succumbed to the trend of an asparagus and poached egg salad. I can't even pinpoint it to a specific cuisine because I've had some variation of it in French, American, Italian and even Gastro-pub, restaurants alike. Be it with Parmesan shavings, a grilled portabella mushroom, lettuce of any variety, sprinkling of crispy bacon, hollandaise-- you name it, I order it. Because there's nothing I like better than asparagus and a poached egg. (oh, okay-- there are SOME things I like better, but that doesn't really work for this post.)

So imagine my delight to turn up at the Mint Hotel (née City Inn) in Manchester to find a brand spanking new menu with an asparagus and poached egg combo. It was my first time back since our falling out -- this place used to be my weekly hang-out, where I'd wait for MRN after a trip somewhere in the country. I'd hang out in the lobby bar/lounge, where the WiFi was free and the staff accommodating-- they never even blinked at my order of peppermint tea and the hours I spent hanging out, typing away at my computer. But the new management which brought with it poor service, sub-standard loos (previously my favorite part of the hotel-- I'm always on the hunt given my particular aversion to public restrooms) and mediocre food, sent me looking for greener pastures.

Today it all changed. Partly because it was raining, and partly because I desperately needed the loo ("English-ism") after my two hour journey, I headed across the street from the train station to the Mint Hotel. I meant to only order tea but in perusing the menu, I spied this little delight:

Warm Asparagus, Lambs Lettuce and Ham Hock Salad (with a soft poached egg and Parmesan)

Ummm-- YES PLEASE!

Having had somewhat dubious dining experiences here in the past, I did wonder what I was in store for-- after all, a poached egg is not an easy feat, and doing it in the fly in a busy hotel bar, even more of a challenge. But boy, was I pleasantly surprised. The salad was indeed warm (as advertised), the asparagus perfectly cooked-- tender but not mushy; the Ham hock such an unexpected-- and tasty-- addition; and the egg! PERFECTLY poached. When you cut into the egg, just the right amount of yolk poured out to create a delectable dressing that the lambs ear lettuce was perfect for mopping up. Needless to say, I inhaled it. (and I didn't even notice that they omitted the parmesan until I wrote this entry-- clearly an unnecessary addition).

So big thumbs up to the Mint Hotel (and most importantly the chef!) for a great rescue. This may just become my "new" haunt part deux.


(*Note: Photo is not the actual dish that I ate. I was too busy eating to remember to take a photo... I'll try harder next time...)

0 comments: