Sunday, September 19, 2010

It's what's for dinner

*****UPDATED*****
The brown butter tarragon sauce turned out to be my favorite part; the monkfish was delish, but MRN was suspicious of the artichoke hearts. Leftover polenta from last night's dinner. Broccoli was uninspired, but still yummy... esp to mop up the brown butter sauce...

*********************
Trying to keep the menu varied and still good can be a challenge-- especially when you work for the man and want to pull your hair out 10 times a day, leaving very little time or energy for creativity. Not to mention, I am a creature of habit-- I can eat the same thing everyday for months and months and be perfectly happy (case in point: in Chicago I ate Chipotle every single day for lunch... the exact same order. It got to the point that the staff would have my lunch ready for me by the time I made it through the crazy long line-- complete with my preferred idiosyncrasies... light on the rice and meat, heavy on the veggies, a bit of pico and a bit of hot sauce. Once in a while I'd break it up with a veggie sandwich from potbelly's, but pretty much for the 2 years before I moved, it was all Chipotle, all the time).

Now with someone else to feed (and I demonstrate my love through doing things for the ones I love!), I can't eat the same thing every day (although we eat a lot of the same thing a lot...)-- so I'm constantly on the look out for new recipes or ways to change something old to something new. But equally important (because of the aforementioned working for the man), the recipes can't be too complicated or time consuming or else we'd eat at 10 p.m. every night (which unfortunately for MRN is a lot of nights because of HIS crazy working for the man job). With my job becoming more and more uncreative, I have to look elsewhere... and with artistic inspiration fewer and further away, I'm turning to food (although trying to keep it healthy because I don't want to weigh a million pounds!). On the menu this week:
  1. Turkey chili with herbed polenta and roasted vegetables
  2. Prosciutto wrapped monkfish stuffed with sundried tomatoes, spinach and artichoke hearts with a brown butter tarragon sauce and a side of broccoli
  3. Pasta fagioli (hoping to stretch it last at least two days-- thanks, AB!)
  4. Mediterranean meatballs (ground lamb, garlic, red onions, sundried tomatoes) with a spinach, roasted pepper and goat cheese salad
  5. Polenta pizzas (pepperoni and sundried tomato, anchovy and olives, artichoke heart and roasted garlic)
To be fair, the turkey chili was actually last night, but since it was done (and super easy) I thought I'd include it. Either MRN is lucky, or cursed... he keeps complaining about his growing belly... time will tell!

5 comments:

Kristina said...

yum to the turkey chili and polenta pizza!!!! wish i could have some right now.

Kittie Flyn said...

Mmm, that looks so good! My stomach is growling.

I'm a creature of habit, too. I have no variety in my meals. I eat the same thing for breakfast every day. I rotate through a total of four different dishes (they really aren't dishes at all) for lunch and dinner. My local grocer cashier can recite my purchases blindfolded.

It's just me so I don't have to try and vary my meals which could be a bad thing...

ao_hoku said...

omgeesh! my kindred spirit of the food kind! i thought i was the only 1 who mastered the art of eating a single dish, day in day out, for long periods of time, all while getting totally satisfied. it would drive my family nuts but my stomach wasn't complaining. so my hubby commandeered the kitchen to make sure it got varietized daily (lol).

maikib said...

Ah, life was so much easier when it was just my stomach to deal with. Of course if there was an issue, I'd happily relinquish the kitchen. Okay-- that's a lie.

Jane said...

Where do you get your monkfish from - I can't find it, and I'm only 5 miles from the city centre!