Wednesday, February 02, 2011

One upon a dream...

Giant cheese ball that I am, I caught the end of Fame (the remake, not the original; doesn't stand up to the original, but the principle is the same), and it actually made me a little misty eyed. All of those kids with their big dreams; still thinking anything was possible in all of their ignorance--err, innocence. It got me thinking... and then really thinking, about what my dreams used to be. And then, at what stage they disappeared.

I don't think I had super lofty dreams... I was going to marry a prince (or maybe Pete Sampras), be an astronaut (the first female shuttle commander, to be exact), an interior designer / architect, a doctor. I was going to live in a house with a window seat and drive a BMW 325i convertible, just like Kelly Taylor on 90210. I was never one of those kids who knew exactly who I was going to be or what I was going to do... I was good in school and liked, well, everything. I think as a result I never really had any solid path and have made decisions about where to live and what to do somewhat on a whim. But at 35, none of my dreams have necessarily come true (well, besides the prince part, perhaps).

Maybe dreams change; your naivete and innocence disappears with age. And you have new dreams. But when I think of it now-- in my jaded adulthood, I don't really know if I have dreams anymore. And I think it's sort of sad.

I think it's time to take a lesson from my dear old dad and find and follow my passion. Now-- to just identify what that is.

What are your dreams?

5 comments:

Kittie Flyn said...

The 'dream' question has come up on other blogs I read too. It made me think of what I dreamed and thought my life would be like when I was little. I never played house, I never thought about a dream wedding or imagined a prince would come whisk me away. I didn't even have a cool job in mind.

Sure I coveted a lot: cool clothes, a nice car, the hot guy in school but I never really had lofty dreams.

All I really wanted to do was stay at home, where I felt comfortable and safe.

I guess that means I've been jaded since childhood because I knew what the real world was going to hand me.

maikib said...

ha! i know what you mean-- i was born a 50 year old woman. maybe i am just catching up. :)

Kristina said...

Living it although I could always use more ice cream. Cookies and cream or mint chocolate cookie. Pachuigo's pannacota or any nata or fior di latte.

ps. I heart your Prince! Still so happy about your big year!!

M. L. Benedict said...

Your dad was lucky because he seems always to have known what he wanted to do. My dream was to be some kind of interpreter or explainer, so in a very modest way I have been able to live that dream, teaching and writing. I wish I could have been like Greg Mortenson (Three Cups of Tea), but there's only one him.

maikib said...

i owe my big year to you, my dear k! :) and the prince hearts you right back. he is jones-ing to move to chicago (and esp your 'hood). :) aunty mikie, you certainly have achieved your dream, and then some! to live a life so inspiring to others and to bring love (of self, of music, of art, of YOU!) into their lives... wow. i can only hope to be half that!