Sunday, March 18, 2007

Bar-the-lona

I've been attempting to refresh my very far removed high school Spanish in anticipation of my trip to Barcelona next week. Yes, I realize that growing up in Southern California, I learned Latin American Spanish, which is very different from Spain-Spanish. And Barcelona is its own beast with "Catalan" or Castillian Spanish thrown in... which, by my amateur observation, is a unique combination of French-like Spanish... "buenos dias" is "bon dia," and the like. Not to mention all "c" sounds being pronounced as a "th"-- so phrases like "como se dice" sounds like "thomo se dee-th-ay." Huh?! I may be fighting a losing battle... but my guidebooks assure that most Barcelonians are bilingual and speak both versions of Spanish... as though that is going to help me.

But in effort to try to trigger something resembling Spanish from the depths of my tired brain, I downloaded a podcast from iTunes entitled "Coffee Break Spanish" that has about 20 lessons that teaches you basic conversation such as ordering in a restaurant and asking directions-- plus it goes over "Spain" pronunciation vs. "Latin American" pronunciation.

The best thing about the podcast? It's from Scotland, so the teachers have a very thick brogue. I can't understand their English half the time, which sends me into fits of giggles, so I'm not really retaining much... but I'm enjoying myself immensely. I do however, understand their Spanish better than the English (even funnier), so maybe it is helping...

6 comments:

Liana said...

I love Coffee Break Spanish! I listened to a few of them before I realized that I wouldn't be traveling anywhere near a Spanish speaking country anytime soon (unless Las Vegas counts). Good choice! All those accents...I wonder what native speakers of Spanish think of the Scottish accent. It's really strong in English, must be the same in Spanish!

Anonymous said...

Bueeeeno... I always find it amusing that listeners seem to think our English accents are so strong. You should hear a REALLY strong Scottish accent and then you'd know you're getting away lightly! Glad you're enjoying Coffee Break Spanish and that you seem to be learning something. Keep listening!

Saludos desde Escocia,

Mark (Coffee Break Spanish)

Liana said...

OMIGOSH! Is it really Mark from COFFEE BREAK SPANISH? Maikib, is he your compadre (okay, apologies for poor use of the language)? WOW! A celebrity in the midst...

alohab said...

How on earth did he find you? That is pretty cool.

I am SO JEALOUS that you are Tiff are going to Spain without me.

maikib said...

I know!?! It was really Senor Mark! Can you imagine?!? Of course I emailed him immediately to make sure that I didn't offend him (he assured me I didn't), b/c I really do like the podcast-- I just also really like accents (ah, the plight of the American woman who is easily romanced by an accent... oh, yes- espana, here i come...).

Anonymous said...

Okay, how do I access this web site.
I gotta here this.

Mom