Wednesday, July 19, 2006

WTF?!

It's been so long since I've had a good WTF that I thought I'd give it prime real estate today (it hasn't changed on my sidebar in a few months... and for those who didn't know I updated the sidebar-- I UPDATE THE SIDEBAR). Da-da-da-daaaaa:
Cruise Ship Lists Heavily; Injuries Reported
A cruise ship listed heavily on its way to New York on Tuesday, injuring some passengers, Coast Guard officials said.
This was the headline and lead-in for a NBC news alert that just came across my e-mail.

Ummm.... "listed heavily?"

For all of you non-sailors, it means, "to roll to one side, typically because of a leak or unbalanced cargo," (I looked it up) as in, "The Titanic listed heavily after careening into an iceberg the size of Rhode Island."

In this case (according to the article), the ship "s
uddenly rolled heavily to the left..."

WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST SAY THAT.

Hello!? Mainstream, television news, people. Commonfolk watch/read this stuff.

Then again, it did make me read the stupid article.

0 comments: