Saturday, April 01, 2006

Whiter Than Whitey White

It's that time of year again when I realize that I live in the land of cold weather because I'm getting ready to go somewhere warm. Tomorrow morning (at a happy 4 a.m.) I go to Coconut Point, FL (Florida, admittedly, is not my favorite place... but who's to argue when you've suffered through negative temps for the past 5 months and work is footing the bill?). And as I was trying on my white bikini to make sure that it still fit (it does), I couldn't help but notice my very white legs blending right into the suit... and I mean transluscent white... where my bright blue veins were happily swimming around just under the surface of my skin (ewwww....).

Don't get me wrong; living in cold weather has had its benefits: 6 months (okay, maybe a slight exaggeragation) out of the year, you get to wear bulky layers to hide the added weight you may have gained; there's seasons, REAL seasons, not just summer and slightly less than summer; you get to wear a coat (or two... or three... come on; I grew up in southern CA-- I didn't OWN a coat until midway through my freshman year at Vassar...). But then, there's the downfalls: I no longer look like my identical twin sister (she lives in Hawaii... yeah; who's the headcase of the pair??); this half-Hawaiian chick can't get a tan (ahh... i fondly remember the days where I could get a golden glow after being in the sun for 30 minutes... now it's just lobster central). Clearly these days I'm living my southern/Irish/English roots instead of the Hawaiian ones.

So, this wayfarer is off to the sunshine state (oh... is that CA? Oh no; CA is the golden state. Either way, I'm neither golden nor sunshine-y); well, in any case, the land of sun, beaches and old people... to hopefully get a tan before the working stiffs drop in (on Monday-- because I wouldn't be caught dead in a bathing suit in front of co-workers), and to maybe have some fascinating stories to tell upon my return... well... maybe...

Ummm... okay... it's 12:37 and I have to wake up at 4... maybe I shouldn't bother going to sleep?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... Back to California? Or we're thinking Hawai'i...

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! You're suffering from your dad's haole roots. My tanning genes have diminished despite my years in Hawai'i and California. Summers in Tennessee I was the Golden Boy. With that, and years outdoors at Disneyland, lucky I don't have skin cancer.

Consider faring off to CA, or HI. We're thinking HI might be the place for us, the most isolated place on earth.

Love,
Dad