Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Vancouver... Revisited

The Vancouver courts have apparently logged the "evidence" (being my computer) incorrectly and indicated that the property should be returned to the perps. Huh? So now the police are asking how much my computer is worth b/c they (and who "they" are, i have yet to determine) might have to reimburse me for the value of the computer instead? How the heck does this crazy Canadian law work anyway? Perps steal stuff and get to keep it, even after they're arrested, found guilty and put in jail? Like i said... huh?!?

This is what the esteemed Constable had to say in his latest e-mail correspondence:

"There is an issue with the judge's orders and what was recorded and by the court clerk. Basically, they screwed up. The issue was on the return of property to the accused. The court system is really separate from us and I have to go through my superiors to liaise with the court. Unfortunately, the system is continuing to victimize you. Can you send me a quote for a replacement computer in U.S. dollars? You don't have to shop around, just check the price for the same model at a store. It may come done to returning the value of the computer to you and not the actual computer. I will work to resolve this a.s.a.p. and, again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.
And what kind of budget does the Vancouver police department have anyway?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh? I think this deserves to be in your WTF section...

Anonymous said...

This is something I'd expect in Mexico, not Canada.