Friday, November 30, 2007

Wanting to Get Back to the Wayfaring





















I realized that I've recently lost sight of the wayfaring part of my blog-- likely because I've been getting to do a little wayfarin' myself! Rest assured, dreaming of travel has not waned as a favorite passtime, and I'm still a faithful subscriber/reader of Conde Nast Traveler and the Sunday NYT travel section. Last month's "Top 50 Destinations" issue of CNT was especially enlightening, showcasing (among other things like resorts, skiing, etc.) the top 50 cities in the world, and then ranked based on each continent (well, if you count U.S. as a separate continent-- which I don't, but apparently the U.S.-based pub decided to be, well, U.S.-centric). Topping the 50 for the 6th consecutive year is Sydney, followed by San Francisco, Florence, Cape Town and Bangkok. In any case, more destinations to add to my wishlist. Out of the 50, I've been to 14 (and only 7 in the U.S.)... so a long way to go (although 3 out of the top 5). How about you?


Asia
1. Bangkok, 2. Hong Kong, 3. Chian Mai (Thailand), 4. Singapore, 5. Kyoto, 6. Shanghai, 7. Jaipur, 8. Tokyo, 9. Hanoi, 10. Kathmandu


Europe

1. Florence, 2. Rome, 3. Venice, 4. Paris, 5. Salzburg, 6. Vienna, 7. Barcelona, 8. Bruges, 9. Siena, 10. Edinburgh


The Americas

1. Buenos Aires, 2. Vancouver, 3. Victoria, 4. Quebec City, 5. San Miguel de Allende (Mexico), 6. Cuzco (Peru), 7. Montreal, 8. Oaxaca (Mexico), 9. Toronto, 10. Rio de Janeiro

Africa/Middle East
1. Cape Town, 2. Damascus, 3. Jerusalem, 4. Beirut, 5. Dubai

United States

1. San Francisco, 2. NYC BABY!, 3. Charleston, 4. Santa Fe, 5. Chicago, 6. Carmel, 7. Honolulu, 8. Savannah, 9. San Diego, 10. Boston


Australia/Pacific

1. Sydney, 2. Melbourne, 3. Queenstown, 4. Christschurch, 5. Aukland

3 comments:

alohab said...

Surprisingly I've been to 6. All in the U.S. How sad. I guess that's to be expected considering I don't have a passport. That will have to change soon!

Liana said...

Okay, I've been to three in Europe, 5 in US, and Vancouver of "The Americas". That's it!!! That means I have to plan trips to Asia, South America (okay, thatt just doesn't seem right that they hunk Canada and S. Amer together and totally put US in a separate category...), Africa and Australia/New Zealand! hmmm...girl trips?

McKay said...

I'm at 13, helped by the fact that I've been to 9 of the 10 in the USA. None in the Africa/Middle East category, and none in the Australia/Pacific. Someday!