Thursday, February 02, 2012

Coconut Willie...

... lives in a tree!

Oh, how this record (yes-- as in vinyl... I'm that old) brings back memories. AB and I used to lie on the floor in our bedroom in Hawaii and listen to "The Adventures of Coconut Willie and Pukahead" over and over and over again. Who is Pukahead, you ask? The magic menehune, of course! It's probably one of my earliest memories... though, I'm sure it's muddled with several others of listening to this and our Disney record collection ad nauseam over the course of many years (and boy did our older sister love us for that).

Alas, I could not find the original Jack de Mello version. Though, lucky you-- I did find Aunty Genoa Keawe singing a version of it on YouTube (disclaimer-- she's not my aunty; that's just what Hawaiians call elders, whether they're related to you or not). You gotta love YouTube.

They come to Waikiki-iiii. They come to Waikiki to see his opu swing!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to listen to Coconut Willie as a kid too. I found this page (link below) with a link to the original album ripped to mp3 format. Now I've been playing it for my own kids and they love it.

http://captpackrat.livejournal.com/390405.html

Long Love C.W. and P.H.T.M.M!

kricket76 said...

I was good though my record collection and found this one! It was my grandmas record and I brought it back with me from Hawaii! It's great!