Friday, June 12, 2009

Firenze

So, I'm waaaaaayyy delayed in posting the rest of the photos from my Italy trip-- but, what better time than today? Let me just say that I love Florence. LOVE. I always thought of Florence as the equivalent of Chicago and Rome the equivalent of NYC. Florence is beautiful, and small (so fully walkable), generally clean (a feat for a city that is so overrun by touristas) and the BEST? it's a city known for paper. Paper you say? Yes-- my great passion. It's known for leather too, but that's not as interesting to me (although I did buy a beautiful bag...). There's also the gelato... oh, gelato. I could eat that three times a day... if it weren't for the homemade pasta. It's a carb-phobic person's nighhtmare (thankfully I'm not).

I first went to Florence with my dear friend K, all of 8 (or 9??) years ago. She was on a whirlwind trip of Europe, meeting friends in different countries before heading to business school (I got Italy, Switzerland and Austria). It was one of the best trips I've taken. She's a wonderful travel companion, we love most of the same things; she's so fun, organized, adventurous; and, loves paper AND gelato, that it made for the perfect trip. So it was a little bittersweet to be there without her, but it also brought back a lot of memories of our trip.

One big change that I noticed was the city was MUCH more crowded. And mostly with Americans. I was there around the same time I went almost 10 years ago, but there was definitely a more, almost Disneyland, vibe. I heard American accents more than Italian, which I have to say was disappointing. Every vendor spoke English which, while easier, made Italy lose some of its charm. All said, it lost a bit of the magic of the first trip, but I still loved it. There's something magical and romantic about Italy-- I don't know if it's the light or the art, but I can't wait to go back. Next time with MRN!

(K-- there's a special photo for you...see if you can pick it out!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember K's whirlwind trip. I don't know if I had met you by then or not. I was on my honeymoon in Italy and we were winging it. Received an e-mail from K that Florence was wonderful, so we decided to go. BEST DECISION. AND -- we stayed at the same bed and breakfast you did -- the one with the couple who owned the dog -- only a few days later.

Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Kristina said...

OOOOOOHHHHHH MY!! I want to go back and buy leather and eat gelato.

I heart your photos!

And our best meal EVER. yum.

alohab said...

i love my leather bag your got me from your first trip, still have it and use it ;).