Thursday, July 10, 2008

In Memoriam: Ken Reich

Kenneth Reich, the father of an old and dear friend of mine, David, passed away last week, after a long illness. Mr. Reich, as I knew him, was a kind and thoughtful man. Knowing (from his daughter's experience at Yale) that when I went away to school I would not only be homesick, but miss, among many things, having fresh fruit in the snowy Northeast winter, Mr. Reich never failed to have a box of fruit arrive to my door every winter I attended Vassar, along with an encouraging note and update of the happenings at home. And fifteen years later, those updates hadn't ceased. Above all, Mr. Reich he was also an extremely proud father. When I spoke with him this past Christmas, I could hear the pride in his voice when telling me of David and Kathy's latest accomplishments-- everyone should be so lucky to have a parent like Mr. Reich. My heart goes out to David and Kathy, and all of their family during this sad time. I hope the many words and remembrances of those who knew and loved Mr. Reich that have been left on his blog, "Take Back The Times" (his accounting of the Chicago Tribune takeover of The LA Times), in person and I'm certain, many other media, will lend some comfort and support.

0 comments: