Sunday, December 03, 2006

It's the Most Wonderful Time...

Yes, the holiday season is in full swing. As such, I've commenced my annual updating of the Christmas music library, and I have to say-- there are some good ones this year. In a single iTunes raid, I've added James Taylor, Bette Midler and Sarah McLachlan's latest forays into the Christmas merchandising madness. But I have to say, very impressive.

JT (of old school, not to be confused with the SexxyBack version) is the perfect combination of bluesy and jazzy and wonderful James Taylor-ish, wrapped into one. For me, it doesn't matter what he sings, his voice makes me melt... and believe that there are better things in this world for all of us.

Bette is a gas, as always. Lots of horns, classic big band with elements of jazz thrown in, she pumps up the traditional carol like no other. A tap-your-feet, sing-a-long.

Sarah doesn't disappoint (does she have a killer range, or what? Just when you think she's going to crack on that upper C, it floats effortlessly and melts into the next transition). I actually prefer her cover of Joni Mitchell's "River" to JT's (gasp!), and the carols are in true Sarah style.

Whomever the artist, hope if you're celebrating the season, you're doing it with music... and milking it the entire month. If you're in Hawai'i or Chicago-- or likely, anywhere that has a radio station, you have the benefit of 24/7 Christmas music. Or, short of spending lots of money on iTunes, you can also contact me to burn you some CD's. Oh-- and if you don't have the "Singers Unlimited" Christmas album, that's a must-have. Jazz a cappella at its finest.

2 comments:

Proud Papa said...

JT was here again recently, I'm so sad we missed it. Next time!!!! I'm itching to hang out with the older generation again. And I miss him so.

maikib said...

Ha! That concert was awesome! We were the youngest people there by at least 20 years...